713 Ridge Avenue|
Pittsburgh, PA 15212
Phone: 412-321-5030 FAX: 412-321-5323
|Current Officers |
|Kathleen Erb, M.D.|| President|
|Barry Schaitkin, M.D.|| President elect|
|D'Arcy Duke, M.D.|| Treasurer|
|Bernard J. Costello, DMD, MD|| Secretary|
|Robert Keenan, M.D.|| Governor|
|Kevin Garrett, M.D.|| Governor|
|Date of Founding:||1953|
|Goals/Objectives:||This Chapter was organized to promote the art and science of surgery through educational programs and to enhance the overall quality of surgical care in Southwestern Pennsylvania.|
Educational Sessions at Nemicolin WoodlandsMAY 8, 9 & 10, 2009
Complete program details and registration information.
|Information:||Information for Members of the SW PA Chapter, American College of Surgeons|
- Minutes from the October 7, 2007 Annual Meeting – Board of Governors
- Minutes from the October 10, 2007 Adjourned Meeting – Board of Governors
- Minutes from the Executive Committee, Board of Governors, October 7, 2007
- Minutes from the Executive Committee, Board of Governors, October 10, 2007
- Medicare Payment Briefing – ACS Board of Governors, December 2, 2007
- Power point ACS Board of Governors Teleconference, January 30, 2008
- Selecting the best Medicare Payment Option by Barbara Cebuhar, Communications
Specialist, Division of Advocacy & Health Policy, Washington, D.C.
- Responding to reductions in Medicare payment – What's legal, what's not by Barbara
Peck, JD, Senior Regulatory Associate, Division of Advocacy & Health Policy,
- The impending disappearance of the General Surgeon by Josef E. Fischer, M.D., JAMA,
2007; 298 (18):2191-2193.
If you wish to obtain a copy of any of these pieces of information, please contact Dianne Meister at 412-321-5030 or email@example.com
- In May of 2006, Drs. Chris Daly, Kenneth Lee, and Carl Snyderman spoke at the WV Chapter meeting held at the Greenbrier. The Chapter provided for Jitesh Patel, M.D. of Allegheny General and T.R. Shankar, M.D. of Conemaugh to present at the WV Chapter meeting in the resident forum.
- November 2006 Chapter meeting held at the Carnegie Science Center featured Stephen Foreman, Ph.D., JD, MPA, Associate Professor, Health Administration & Economics, Robert Morris University Dr. Foreman presented "The State of Medicine in Pennsylvania"
- May 2006 started a tradition of Chapter meetings to be held at the Nemacolin Woodlands Resort. Mr. Tom Kiley, Manager, Surgeons Diversified Investment Fund spoke on the College's successful new program. Dr. Martin Gaynor, E.J.Barone Chair in Health Systems Management & Professor of Economics and Public Policy at Carnegie Mellon University spoke on "Pay for Performance". Residents from Allegheny General, Conemaugh Medical Center, Mercy Hospital and University of Pittsburgh Medical Center presented selected cases. T. Clark Gamblin, Chapter/State Liaison for the Commission on Cancer provided information as to the working relationship between the College and the American Cancer Society. "Advances in Minimally Invasive Surgery" was the topic for the general session and featured Drs. Barry Schaitkin, Giselle Hamad, Timothy Kane, Kenneth Lee, Satish Muluk and John R. Baker.
- November 2007 combined meeting with the Pittsburgh Surgical Society with featured speaker, Dr. Richard H. Bell, Jr, Assistant Executive Director of the American Board of Surgery
- Plans are already underway for the 2008 meeting to be held May 9-11, 2008 at Nemacolin. Watch for future notices regarding next year's meeting.
|Membership:||Active membership shall be Fellows and Associate Fellows of the American College of Surgeons residing or practicing in this area and are members in good standing of the College. |
Resident members shall have graduated from a medical school acceptable to the American College of Surgeons & is currently enrolled in an accredited training program focused on a surgical specialty as noted in the by-laws. Emeritus membership shall be limited to those members over the age of 65 or retired from the active practice of surgery and have applied for such status through the American College of Surgeons. Medical Students in a U.S. medical school accredited by the Liaison Committee on Medical Education (LCME) are eligible to apply as a Medical School member of the Chapter.
Download Membership Application
|Administrator:||Dianne Meister, RN
712 Ridge Avenue
Pittsburgh, PA 15212
Administrative services provided by
Allegheny Physicians Service Corporation.
Copyright ©: 2009
Allegheny County Medical Society
Updated: Friday, April 03, 2009